Sunday, March 3, 2013

Exercise....Do I Have To?!?!

Since I've become an administrator five years ago, I have put on a few pounds.  Okay, if I'm being honest, I've gained quite a bit of weight.  It seems like no matter what I do, I can't lose this flab that is continuing to grow around my stomach.  I mean, I try to eat healthy (i.e., pizza, Sunkist, potato chips) and try to work out everyday (i.e., I have to walk to the kitchen to get my food), so I really don't understand the problem.


(By the way, where did the term "love handles" come from?  
Does anyone actually LOVE them?!?!)

I hit an all-time low when one of my students walked up to me, pointed at my stomach, and said, "Mrs. Allen, do you have a baby in your belly?"  AAAGGGHHH!!!!  I politely smiled and said, "No, it's just time for Mrs. Allen to lose some weight."  Kids, gotta love 'em, right?!?!

Anyway, I have these wonderful friends who are determined to support me to actually make some healthier choices when it comes to eating and exercising.  So on Thursday, we decided to join Crossfit Oswego.  What were we thinking?!?!  After a 60-minute "trial," we were all coughing, breathing heavily, and ready to throw up.  This wasn't even the full-blown workout that everyone else was doing!  

Well, I thought for sure that I would be hurting the next day; but, to my surprise, I wasn't the least bit sore.  My friends, on the other hand, were having trouble going up and down the stairs at school.  Wow, I was so impressed with myself!  I haven't worked out in months, but I must be in good shape if this workout didn't bother me, right?  WRONG!  I woke up this morning with a sore lower back, sore shoulders, and sore legs.  I've been hydrating, stretching, and popping some Advil to loosen my muscles.

What is the saying?  No Pain, No Gain, right?  I have until Tuesday to be able to walk, move my arms, and feel my back because that's the next time we'll be going.  What, did you think I was going to throw in the towel so quickly?!  Wish me luck!!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on trying Crossfit! That looks so intimidating, but so much fun. And it's very true- kids don't have any kind of a filter. Good luck with your fitness goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been working on the weight around my middle. Stick to the program and good luck reaching your goals! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the comment by the student... I'm glad you are geting fit together. It always helps to keep the will going strong...kind of like the MLit group :) I am so glad that you have started this. It is such a wonderful community that develops when we are all in the muck and joy of our collective lives. I am in serious awe of you. xo nanc PS Maybe Dr. W. won't have to hear of us doing this. I seriously don't like to worry about grammar and caps this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tossing a ball of luck to you right now! The love handle question cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get discouraged - each session will make you more fit. And in no time, you'll forget how much you hurt after that first session. It's great that you have others who are going with you - you will be able to encourage each other. Wishing you good luck in getting fit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good luck! As I blogged earlier I joined Weight Watchers...eating real food was my goal. If you work hard and stick to the points it really will work... may be slow but it will work. It is a life struggle but WE CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sore today! :) Can't wait to see how sore we are on Tuesday! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 2012 I committed to being healthy again. I was amazed how I returned to my "normal" self by staying focused on health rather than weight loss. I kept saying to myself, "In December you won't be this size." I have more energy and a renewed spirit.

    But OH!, did it ever hurt when I began running again. My entire body hurt...toes, ankles, knees, hips, back, even my fingers! Now though, when I go out and run 2.5 miles in 20 minutes I feel like I can do anything. I can conquer the world...or even, maybe, write a book (again). :)

    Good luck tomorrow!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I love how your voice shines in this post. You made me laugh. Second of all, congratulations on working towards good health. Healthy eating AND exercise....it's not easy!

    ReplyDelete