Sunday, March 10, 2013

How Do You Keep Track of Your Books?

I have an addiction ---- buying books!!  I just can't help myself.  When I hear about a wonderful book that can be used as a mentor text for a child, I have to have it.  If someone is telling me about a great book they are reading for enjoyment, I want to read it, too.  In fact, I have accumulated over 1,000 pieces of literature over the past two years.  


I KNOW!!!  I told you --- it's an addiction!

Anyway, you might be wondering how I keep track of all these treasures since many of my students and staff members borrow my books throughout the school year.  It's simple --- I use a website called LibraryThing (www.librarything.com).  This site has made placed all my books at my fingertips --- no matter where I am.  Here are some of the cool things I can do:

  1. I can search for all my books by author or title.
  2. For each title, I have created tags that let me quickly search for certain topics.
  3. There is an opportunity to be an "Early Reviewer."  You can sign up to win books for free, and all you have to do is write a review after reading it.
  4. I can share my site with colleagues (and vice versa)  so they can see if I have any books they need.
  5. Adding new books to my collection is easy because I can scan them in with my Cue Cat.  (http://www.librarything.com/cuecat)
The list goes on and on.  These are just some of the ways I use this AWESOME site.  If you are looking for a way to track all your books, I highly recommend checking it out.


7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great site. I have an obsession with books too, bt I haven't come up with a good system. I lose a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great site. I have an obsession with books too, bt I haven't come up with a good system. I lose a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea to keep track of your books! I already checked out the website, and will definitely recommend it to a friend! Blog post it bookmarked for further reference:) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping track of what I've read was always a problem. That's why I initially started my blog - so I could remember which books I read. I use Goodreads and also have an Excel worksheet that I try to keep up to date. I'll check this website out. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing this resource. It is always nice to know there are other book addicts out there. I don't want to be alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great resource! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete