Tuesday, March 12, 2013

IRC, Here We Come!!

Tomorrow night, three of my friends and I are going to leave after school and head down to Springfield for the Illinois Reading Conference!!  WOOHOO!!!  I am so excited!  I know you think I'm a nerd, but remember --- I'm the one who is addicted to books, so this is like winning the lottery.  Here are some of the speakers/presentations I plan on seeing while I'm there:

I am definitely going to see Sharon Draper!!! I absolutely loved the book Out of My Mind and can't wait to hear her insights on teaching reading and writing.

JEFF ANDERSON!!!!  I have to make sure I take my copy of Mechanically Inclined so I can get it autographed!!  We are going to use this book next year as a staff for some professional development with teaching conventions in an appropriate, meaningful way.  I'm excited to check out some of his other books.

Although I've never read anything by Sara Holbrook, I'm looking forward to learning more about her books and how she works with educators in the writing and performing of poetry. 

Gordon Korman is such a dynamic speaker!!!  I can't believe he wrote his first book when he was just 12 years old.  What a powerful fact to share with our young writers at the elementary level.  He is a must see!
  
I absolutely have to check out Becky Anderson Wilkins to hear her book-talk all the new books that have come out in the past months.  Every time I see her, I spend so much money on new and exciting releases!!  

This is just a short list of people I plan to see at the conference.  Some other authors that will be there include:  Sarah Weeks, Jordan Sonnenblick, Pam Munoz Ryan, Avi, Eric Rohman, Steven Layne...and the list goes on and on.  So many people....so many books....so little time!  


2 comments:

  1. I too, am a huge fan of Sharon Draper. OUT OF MY MIND is a great read. And...You are going to love love love Jeff Anderson. Do more than get his autograph, get a picture with the guy, then post it on here. He is the "Write Guy" for sure and super fun, animated and a lively presenter. I have seen him twice and loved it! That is so exciting, have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete